Wednesday, March 19, 2008

NCT Blogg 3_Alphaville Review

"Sensuality is a consequence of Love" has to be my favourite line from the movie. Sensuality is as important as breath. Could you imagine life without it, sensuality or love? Who would want to?

While the movie itself has a science fiction story line (I loathe science fiction) the setting takes place in France, a location I adore for all it's beauty which made the film somewhat bearable as the diegetic (the fictional world constructed by the film). The non-diegetic (sound which cannot be explained as deriving from the fictional world) elements I found annoying. The music of impending danger or climax, yet it kept me awake and the voice of the computer was painful to listen to. I enjoyed the absence of special effects.

Alphaville was represented as a society void of all human emotion, to show any emotion resulted in death by execution No past, no history, no memories, controlled by logic which suggests not a society or civilization but more so a horde. Remove the desire for the pursuit of happiness from the individual and you are left with a "non human". While Alphaville considered the logic more superior to the psyche, the choice of diversion to channel the individuals drives to intellectual, scientific or artistic achievement was neither accessible or accepted, nor was free will as it appeared. A civilization cannot exist without the drives of an individual and their psyche. The film however, suggests without logic and logic only, kaos is inevitable. Although it can be argued that an individuals liberty is not an asset of civilization denying the freedom unless channelled by civilization with law and morality. There was no psyche or conscience to the residents of Alphaville.

While I did not see the end of the movie due to technical issues, as it turned out the movie ended with the two main characters in Love, one from Alphville and the other from Outland.

Alphaville was a science fiction imaginary look into a future place in which the condition of life is extremely bad because of deprivation and oppression with no specific ideals_Dystopia.

Seriously, I do not watch any science fiction films for entertainment. I have not seen Star Wars, Star Trek, Matrix nothing. I did watch Doctor Who 25 years ago, maybe even more. I can't really remember nor do I wish to. Alphaville fits into that category of film for me, one I would like to forget and I am sure I will.

I found Alphaville a peculiar film.

No comments: